Saturday, October 9, 2010

Slow Shutter Speed

If you have ever used any kind of camera when is sort of dark in the area, you may notice that everything is a bit blurry.  The flash can be used in some cases but usually it make the picture look really bad.  This is a result of a low shutter speed.  A camera works by exposing the image sensor (or film) to light.  If there is less light around, then the shutter needs to be open longer to let in more light.  You can change ISO values and aperture sizes but that is an explanation for a different day.  I want to focus on how you can use a slow shutter speed to create unique photos.  Most people will be familiar with the streaks of light that are actually cars like in this picture I took a while ago in San Francisco...
an 8 Second exposure in San Fran.
8 second may seem like a while and is plenty long enough for a photo like this.  However, I am always one to explore new techniques in photography so naturally I wanted to try some photos with much longer shutter speeds.  In some more advanced photos you may notice wispy clouds, unbelievably still water, or star movement.  This is the product of much longer exposures.  One evening I decided I would just go around town and experiment.  This was my result...
2 and a half minute shutter speed taken in Fremont
As you can see, the water is very smooth and the clouds blur because they were moving.  Hopefully you like these pictures and have a better understanding of how shutter speed works.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is really good information about Slow Shutter Speed. I am really interested in Photography and i learned new way to take photo now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People nowadays just take "facebook pics" and really do not take photography seriously, including me. You have opened my eyes to a new form of art. Slow shutter speed is a technique of photography that I never knew even existed. I just thing if you were to explain or have some links on the blog, it would be more helpful. I'd like to try this sometime. I enjoy learning about new things and your informative blogs have taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete